- Power and Control in the Imperial Valley: Nature, Agribusiness, and Workers on the California Borderland, 1900-1940 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2015).
- “Invisible Borders: Repatriation and Colonization of Mexican Migrant Workers along the California Borderlands during the 1930s,” California History 88, no. 4 (September 2011): 5-21, 63-65.
- “‘I Am Almost More at Home with Brown Faces than with White’: An Americanization Teacher in Imperial Valley, California, 1923-1924,” Southern California Quarterly 93, no. 1 (Spring 2011): 69-107.
- “Chicano/a movement,” in Kathleen A. Brosnan, ed., Encyclopedia of American Environmental History vol. 1 (New York: Facts on File, 2011): 268-270.
- “Chacón, Soledad Chávez (1890-1936),” in Vicki L. Ruiz and Virginia Sánchez Korrol, eds., Latinas in the United States: A Historical Encyclopedia vol. 1 (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2006): 143-144.
- “Mendoza, María Estela Altamirano (1948-),” in Vicki L. Ruiz and Virginia Sánchez Korrol, eds., Latinas in the United States: A Historical Encyclopedia vol. 2 (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2006): 448-449.
- “La Plaza Vieja (Old Town Alburquerque): The Transformation of a Hispano Village, 1880s-1950s,” in Erlinda Gonzales-Berry and David R. Maciel, eds., The Contested Homeland: A Chicano History of New Mexico (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2000): 239-268.
Latino and Mexican American History; U.S.-Mexico Borderlands; 20th century U.S. West; Environmental History; Labor History; Food Studies
- Latino History Since 1900
- History of the American West
- U.S.-Mexico Borderlands Since 1900
- US Food History Since Colonial Era
- Seminar in U.S. History Since 1865
- Immigration & Americanization during the Progressive Era
- Environmental Justice in the U.S. & Latin America
Ph.D. University of New Mexico, 2003
My new book project is a history of the lower Colorado River and delta. I am also working on 2 articles: “Gateway to California: Regulating the Calexico-Mexicali Border, 1900-1940” and “Border Jumpers: A Forgotten Story of Americans Illegally Entering the U.S. from Mexico, 1924-1933”