- Ph.D., Emory University , 1997
- M.A., University of Delaware , 1992
- B.A., Campbell University , 1990
Areas of Interest
- Twentieth and Twenty First-Century African American Novel
- Gender and Cultural Studies
Selected Publications and Presentations
Visible Man: The Life of Henry Dumas. Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2014.
Racial Myths and Masculinity in African American Literature. Knoxville : University of Tennessee Press, 2005.
Rac(e)ing to the Right: Selected Essays of George S. Schuyler. Knoxville : University of Tennessee Press, 2001.
Henry Dumas and the Challenge of Biography,” American Literature Association Symposium on Biography, Puerto Vallarta , Mexico , 7-10 December 2006.
- Twentieth-Century Black Autobiography ENGL 4050
- Introduction to African American Literature, ENGL 2090/2301
- American Literature1820-1865, ENGL 3141
- American Literature 1920-Present, ENGL 3143
- Masculinity in African American Literature, ENGL 4050
- Twentieth-Century American Novel, ENGL 4144
- African American Literary Criticism and Theory, ENGL 4158
- Black Family in Fiction and Film, LBST 2212
- Twentieth-Century American Novel, ENGL 5144
- Race and Gender in American Literature, ENGL 6685
- Literature and Culture of the Black Arts Movement, ENGL 6050
- UNC Charlotte since 1998
- Director, Center for the Study of the New South, 2011-present
- Faculty Associate, Academic Affairs, January 2007-January 2008
- Interim Director, McNair Scholars Program 2001
Deacon, Friendship Missionary Baptist Church